Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A confession

I've not previously disclosed the fact that my much-celebrated back route into the Twelve Oaks shopping center requires me to ride on a sidewalk for about 15 feet. This short stretch of sidewalk links Varn Street with the Buckingham South parking lot. Although I've never actually seen a pedestrian on this sidewalk, I suppose the proper thing to do is to walk the bike through this area.

At any rate, I feel comfortable admitting this now because last night I saw a man drive a Mazda Miata down the sidewalk and into the Buckingham South Parking lot. Apparently my secret path to Publix isn't so secret. After the Mazda had passed, I inspected the curb near the sidewalk and saw that it bore the scars of many encounters with automobile undercarriages.

Miles:
5
Weather: Clear, 90 degrees.
Time of day: Early Evening
Other cyclists observed: 5 (recreational) 1 (competitive, training)
Number of cyclists riding on the wrong side of the street: 5
Total miles this bike year: 65

No comments: