Monday, November 27, 2006

Signs of life

I recently exchanged e-mail with Atlanta Larry, who is pondering a utility cycling experiment of his own. I'm a two-time former resident of Atlanta and I sometimes wonder if I would have eventually started utility cycling and/or bicycle commuting had I stayed there. My bicycle hibernated in a friend's basement for all but a couple days of the 18 months I lived there in 1999 and 2000. I suppose I found the hills and the traffic a little intimidating. I wonder how I'd make out now. On my last visit I noticed an abundance of Atlanta Bicycle Campaign "Share the Road" yard signs. I don't ever remember seeing those when I lived there.

1 comment:

Evan said...

The hardest part about cycling in Atlanta is just getting started. My first couple of commutes were really rough and the first time I took the bike shopping had almost comical results. It took me at least a couple of weeks to get the hang of it.