Monday, November 20, 2006

Bikes on the Hill

An Associated Press story suggests that the Democrats' success in the midterm elections could be a good thing for cyclists. At least three bicycle friendly representatives will be rising to leadership positions in the House Transportation and Infrastructure Committee and the surface transportation subcommittee.

The League of American Bicyclists called the results a "Great Election for Bike Caucus." This was my first time hearing of the Congressional Bike Caucus, which aims "to encourage Congressional leadership to complement the efforts of the millions of cyclists working for safer roads, more bikeways, convenient bike parking and increased recognition of the importance of cycling to our communities." I'm pleased to learn the congressman representing Georgia's 12th District is a member of the Bike Caucus.

4 comments:

Evan said...

I didn't know that about Barrow, thanks for the info.

Anonymous said...

What surprises me is how bipartisan the bike caucus appears to be. Rick Santorum was pro-bike? Who knew?

John said...

That suprised me too. In fact, the Congressional Bike Forum page on Rep. Rep. Earl Blumenauer's Web site lists Republican Max Burns as a member. Burns represented Georgia's 12th District before John Barrow unseated him in 2004. Burns tried to reclaim the seat this year, but lost by a narrow margin.

Patricia Burroughs aka Pooks said...

Thanks for all this great info -- I've now joined the League of American Bicyclists. As for the bipartisan nature of the caucus -- I am suspicious of it. I am happy to see that Kay Bailey Hutchison is a member, but every issue I've contacted her office about in the past two years has met with a brick wall. She is all about corporate America and oil, and I can't figure out how committed she could be to bike issues. I hope I'm wrong.